Monday, June 7, 2010

A Critical Review of Escaping the Matrix - Wingerd, JOFMM Fall 2005

I must admit that I was a bit intimidated when someone suggested
that I read and review the book, Escaping the Matrix. It is
directed to Christians, but it is also related to clinical counseling,
and I am not professionally trained in that field. I am a former
police officer, a pastor, and an editorial assistant for another Christian
ministry. Greg Boyd, on the other hand, is a well-known pastor
and theologian. Al Larson is a professionally trained clinical
psychologist. My initial thought was that someone more wellknown
and professionally qualified should review their book.
While I am not a clinical counselor, however, every pastor is
called to be a biblical counselor and a theologian. Keeping those
two pastoral roles in the forefront, my main emphasis will not be
to evaluate the authors’ psychological counseling philosophies or
methods. I intend to examine their use of the Scriptures – the theology
that formulates their opinions and drives their methods. But
before beginning, I want to make a personal appeal to any pastors
who might decide to read their book. An ever-widening separation
exists between those committed to biblical counseling, and those
who insist on mingling Scripture with modern psychology...

No comments:

Post a Comment