Tuesday, June 1, 2010

On Building a Library - Arms, JOFMM Spring 2004

It was a drizzly wet day in Tacoma twenty-five years ago (as 300
days a year are in Tacoma). I had read a small ad in the local shopper
about a used book sale being conducted at a local shopping
plaza. What had caught my eye was the listing “religion” among
the categories of books they had advertised for sale. On the way
home from my seminary class that day I decided to stop and see
what they had. I had been to dozens of such sales before so I was
not expecting to find anything of value but still, it was a book sale
and one never knows.
As I looked over the usual assortment of discarded Watchtower
publications and Billy Graham crusade giveaways my eyes landed
on it, wedged between a paperback Good News for Modern Man and a
copy of The Great Late Planet Earth, a 1920 edition of Henry
Barklay Swete’s commentary on the Greek text of Mark! I grabbed
it up and ran for the check out table fearing at any minute the powers
that be would realize their great mistake of pricing my find at
only fifty cents. I tucked the volume under my coat to protect it
from the elements and dashed for the car, giggling like a schoolgirl
at my great fortune...

No comments:

Post a Comment